Backlot is a mid-sized map that is good for almost all game modes. There are two M249 mounted machine guns. However, there are several spots to counter this.
The top of the middle building is great for snipers or heavy gunners. But do not dwell on the second floor for long, because if done so, the player is easy prey for the machine guns, both of which can hit the whole second floor. Also be careful of enemies using the dumpster below one of the windows to climb inside. By climbing out another of these windows, players can also quickly press the action button in order to climb into a small wooden ledge. From there they can hide inside to pick off enemies, or climb the ladder in order to reach the top floor of the middle building. Be careful when up here as it is quite easy to encounter a grenade thrown by the enemy.
If the "Flawless" challenge is needed, a good chance to get it is to go in the basement of the construction building, it is a very overlooked area. The aid of UAV Jammer is advised when doing this. All types of classes are effective on this map.
- It is possible to get on the top of the construction building. By jumping on the rail leading to the top floor, the player can then jump forward to an invisible ledge, by crouching there and then getting someone to jump on the users head, they can get on another ledge obtainable on old school or non-old school. From there go prone and wiggle, holding the left stick to the right and moving up and down until the player can crouch. Move very slowly to the right until the character drops down just an inch, move forward until the player can't move any farther than move to the left. The player is now in quite possibly the best sniper position in normal game modes. This is not possible in the Wii version due to a recent hotfix.
- It is possible to leave the map in Old School mode, by going to the bottom right corner of the map. The player must jump onto the dumpster and incline one's aim slightly into the wall, then spring and jump over the wall in front of the player. To go under the map, just follow the road. Once the player gets to a wall (not at the end of the road), turn right. Once the player gets to another wall, turn left. There should be a black hole. Jump in it. One should be under the map. And if the player wishes to fall out of the map just go to the sides and jump off (jumping off will not kill the player).
- If spawning on the attacking team on Search and Destroy, on the balcony nearby one can climb the wall and peg jump over to the white railing which doubles up as a good sniping spot. Use this railing to perform a glitch to get out of the map.
- In the Wii verison, there is a much hated elevator glitch in the building with the M249 parallel to the OpFor spawn point in Team Deathmatch which allows the player to get on top of the cluster of buildings immediately to the left, and out of bounds all around the map. Fortunately, one well-placed grenade from the alley below the building cluster can solve the problem of people camping up there.
- Sometimes, glitching parties will go down under the map using the above glitch and have a Free-For-All match below the map. Even more rarely players will do that in public matches. This is a strategy an increasing number of boosters are using.
- Don't camp in the 2 story little building with the turret by A. A player can be seen through much of the map and it only takes a well aimed Deep Impact gun to shoot one through the wall.
- Silencers are vital on this map. There are so many places to be shot from behind that not appearing on the radar when firing is super helpful in prolonging one's life. Plus, a player probably won't be doing too much long distance fighting so the Red Dot or ACOG is unnecessary.