Call Of Duty 5 : World At war
The Double-Barrel Shotgun is unlocked at level 29. This shotgun's lack of accuracy, slow speed to reload, and range is made up for by the potential damage it can do in a single shot. If the Sawed-Off "attachment" (unlocked by completing Marksman challenge II) is utilized, the damage of each individual pellet is increased by 5. This means you must get uncomfortably close to your enemies to get a good shot at them, but in a 1 on 1 scenario, if one shot fails to kill him, then another shell is ready to be fired. It is possible to get a Sawed-Off Double Barreled Shotgun w/Grip in Nacht der Untoten, and it is also possible to pick up the weapon in the mission Ring of Steel, which served as the basis for the multiplayer level Asylum.
Like any shotgun, the double-barrel has specific uses and roles. If it is used in close quarters settings than it's extremely lethal. This weapon only fires twice before reloading. Some players prefer the Trenchgun over this weapon because the Double-Barreled Shotgun has an relativity slow reload time; however, this can be counteracted with the Sleight of Hand perk, making the double-barreled shotgun arguably the best choice, as long as the user has an intricate knowledge of close range combat. If one is using close-range tactics effectively in combination with appropriate perks, the double-barrel can make for a much better choice than the Trenchgun.
The Double-Barreled Shotgun is capable of getting one shot kills, even against players using the Juggernaut perk, at surprisingly long range. Steady Aim greatly increases the weapon's range and accuracy. Combining this weapon with the Sleight of Hand perk halves the reload time which is useful in intense close quarters combat, especially given the 2 round capacity and high ammo usage. The high rate of fire allows for a quick second shot if the first does not kill.
- This is one of three American weapons found in the Soviet Campaign, the other ones being the M9A1 Bazooka, which is available in Downfall, and the Mk 2 Grenade in the level Heart of the Reich.
- The reload animation in multiplayer is faster than the one in single player.
- The Russians did use Double-Barrel Shotguns in World War II, and such weapons could be found in private homes throughout Europe, so it is historically accurate to see it in the Soviet campaign
- The Sawed-Off Double-Barreled Shotgun is the most powerful regular gun in the game (excluding the Wonder Weapons), even without the Stopping Power Perk active, however, it is a lot less accurate and its range is half that of the normal double-barreled shotgun.
- If you watch someone else fire this shotgun, you will see his left arm move down and up the grip after each shot, as if he were cycling the slide on a pump-action shotgun.
- In Nazi Zombies, if you upgrade the Double-Barreled Shotgun its name becomes the "24-Bore Long Range".
- On Nacht Der Untoten and Ring of Steel, it is possible to get a Double-Barrel Sawed-Off Shotgun w/ Grip,which is impossible in multiplayer, as the gun has two different attachments.
- This exact same length weapon was planned to be in Modern Warfare 2, but was cut from the final game and added the Ranger (Shotgun) instead.
- If you aim down the shotgun and fire, watch close to the right and you may see two shells fly out the side of the gun as if it were a rifle. This is odd being that the only time the shells come out is when the user reloads.