Call Of Duty : Black Ops
Akin to the Recon Plane in Call of Duty: World at War and the UAV Recon in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, the Spy Plane reveals enemies as a red dot on the mini-map, but can be shot down by enemy players, SAM Turrets, and launchers. It takes 3 kills (2 with Hardline) without dying to use the Spy Plane. The Spy Plane is one of three killstreaks to be unlocked from the start, the other two being the Care Package and Attack Helicopter. Spy planes fly in a clockwise direction; this is how they can be distinguished from Counter-Spy planes, which fly counter-clockwise.
- As indicated by U-2 fuel bar texture in game files, possibly the player originally controlled the U-2 in game, or it is the time of how long the Spy Plane appears in-game.
- Unlike in previous games, the Spy Plane is a slightly rarer sight due to many players removing it as soon as possible for the other 3-killstreak, the RC-XD, believing that an RC-XD, which is almost a free kill every 3 kills, is better than the ability to get one or more kills with work.
- Destroying a Spy Plane grants the player 150 XP. Calling one in grants 100 XP.
- The Spy Plane is modeled after the U-2 plane that found missiles in Cuba (the Cuban Missile Crisis).
- If the player calls in a spy plane while host migration is in progress, when the match resumes the user will be stuck holding the spy plane detonator until they die.
- In the closed multiplayer beta, the Spetsnaz announcer referred to the Spy Plane as the U-2. In the Italian version, all factions refer it as the U-2
- Unlike the UAV Recon, players can not see friendly planes when they are in the air. This is useful when trying to destroy an enemy Spy Plane.