Call Of Duty : Modern Warfare 2
In multiplayer, the UMP .45 is unlocked by default. It is considered to be one of the best overall guns. Compared to other SMGs, the UMP has moderate recoil, a comparatively low rate of fire, and kills in a maximum of 3 shots regardless of perks or attachments. The UMP only benefits from Stopping Power at close range, where the perk reduces shots required to 2. This 2 hit kill range only reaches as far as typical shotgun range. Long range shots will deal 49 damage each, thus still requiring 3 shots for a kill. Also of note is that of all the automatic weapons in the game, no other SMG's, the FAL, and only some Light-Machine Guns share the UMP's ability to 3-shot kill without a perk at long ranges, and of those weapons, the UMP is the only one capable of killing in 3 shots at long range while silenced. On the same note, The UMP is powerful enough to take out a Juggernaut after a single reload, but the shots must be at least above the chest and Flashbangs are a must.
It is generally advisable to use this weapon in conjunction with a Silencer, as it provides minimal damage reduction. However the iron sights are generally unfavorable as they take up a huge portion of the lower screen (while only providing a very short sight base), and due to the slight vertical recoil and muzzle flash, it may be difficult to track targets. For this reason players may choose the Bling perk to add an optic, especially the EOTech Holographic or ACOG. While having lower recoil than most SMGs, it has relatively higher recoil than most assault rifles, and the UMP blurs the line between the two weapon types. When firing at targets at long range, it is advisable to fire off single shots or 2-round bursts by tapping the trigger. This weapon is favored in stealth builds due to its silenced versatility at all ranges without the need of Stopping Power.
- Unlike most guns in the game, the foresight on the UMP is removed when attaching the Red Dot Sight. However in Spec Ops and Campaign, the ironsights are present even with a sight added on.
- An unusual trick that can be extremely effective in campaign and sometimes in online play is using the UMP45 with an ACOG, since the UMP has high damage and good accuracy it is one of the few SMG's that can effectively use an ACOG. A technique that involves ADS and moving around from side to side while continuely firing 5 round bursts can work well when aiming at head level in a tight space such as the markets in The Hornets Nest.
- Many players consider this to be the spiritual successor to the MP40 from World at War. This is due to its equivalent magazine size, low rate of fire, high damage, and moderately high recoil. However, the fact that the UMP cannot kill in two shots at close range without Stopping Power and the larger maps of Modern Warfare 2 make it much less overpowered than the MP40 was in World at War.
- Excluding sniper rifles, the UMP and the FAL are the only guns capable of killing in 3 shots at any range when using a silencer and without using stopping power (unless getting a headshot). Because of this, they are very popular among players using a stealth-based class.
- Soap makes mention of this weapon in the intro of Just Like Old Times saying "So, we got one good UMP. They have got a thousand." This illustrates how out-gunned they are compared to Shepherd's men.
- Strangely, there is no ejector port on the UMP. This is best seen when using Akimbo, where the empty shell casings "fly" out of the gun rather than being tossed out of the ejector port.